Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Attention: Entrepreneurs -- Is Your Business Name Working?

During the past decade, I have noticed the prevalence of name changing, as I am sure you have also. Several of the organizations with which I am involved have chosen new and different names that they feel represent them and their missions more descriptively. Companies who were ready for a new start have changed names to reflect a new attitude, direction and/or focus. Some of these changes have made a positive difference, others have just caused confusion.

What we name ourselves, our businesses and/or the way we describe our services can make a huge impact. For example, I teach fitness classes and have discovered that the name of the class can determine how many people try it (of course, just like a business, once you attract them, you must make it so good they want to return). I started teaching a lower body callisthenic class which has turned into a huge success. Rather than naming it "Lower Body Workout," I feel that the name we chose -- "Pain in the Butt" -- has helped to attract the large number of participants.

Decide what impression you want to have your name and/or the name of your company make. For example I know many independent professionals who use their own name followed by "and Associates." This sounds serious and a bit conservative to me. Law firms that in the past have listed many names of the various partners are now shortening their names. A good example is Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue which became Jones Day at the start of 2003.

I chose the name "Creative Keys" for my company because I work in so many different creative areas it covers them. I like the word "Keys" because keys open doors and more, and because my initials are CK it seems easy for people to remember it. Although, I must admit that I sometimes get calls from people needing a set of keys to open a locked door.

When choosing a longer name, consider whether it would work as an acronym. People remember acronyms, especially if they are short and punchy. Our Ohio storytelling group goes by the name of O.O.P.S! which stands for the Ohio Order for the Preservation of Storytelling -- a real mouthful. The fun part is that when I am giving a presentation or being introduced for any reason, I always have the emcee mention my involvement with the Ohio Order for the Preservation of Storytelling so that when I get up to the lectern, I say, "O.O.P.S!, that's another story." It is not only an attention getter, it is also easy to remember.

Think of all of the easy acronyms: IBM, UPS, FedEx, P & G, MS, to name a few. I do a lot of work with community development corporations and their names are long, so acronyms fit the bill. The Cleveland Neighborhood Development Coalition is known as CNDC for example. Once you have picked a name with a reasonable, easy-to-remember acronym, you will need to repeat it everywhere until others become used to it - just as they will with any name that is heard often.

Take your time and have fun picking a great name for your business. You want it to last a long while and be remembered easily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home